Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Candy

Homemade Christmas Candy is such a yummy gift to receive this time year. Neighbors, co-workers, friends drop off packages trimmed with ribbon to your house or desk. Recipes are exchanged and thoughts of making our own special gifts arise in our heads.

I enjoy making candy for others and have found a few great recipes over the years. I made candy with my mom as a girl and then we bundled up and delivered them to all of our neighbors. When I married into a family with the same traditions, I started making candy for our friends to share during the holidays.

I gained more recipes from my mother in law, Claudia, and began making some of my husband's favorites. Rice Krispie rolls are Alan's most treasured. The recipe is not hard but my mother in law had added a twist of her own to jazz them up and be a little more fancy.

The first year we were married Claudia explained how to make the rolls but promised to send extra and to teach me when our lives weren't quite so hectic. Holiday after holiday passed as we grew as a family. I knew I would eventually get to her house to learn the secret of the round Rice Krispie Rolls.

I took time for granted. My husband and his mother had a falling out and we didn't see them at all the next few Christmas'. When it began all I knew to do was to pray and so I started to pray for renewal for our family. Christmas after Christmas I prayed and no change came. Not holding out much hope for rekindling after such an extended absence I prayed less although a yearning for their relationship still tugged at my heart.

Shockingly after almost three full years, a phone call came and restoration came between Alan and Claudia. Joyfully I spent a day with her and my father in law, Arlo, this week making candy. I now know the secret to rolling the candy, and made two batches with a friend the next day at my own home.

I am thankful this Christmas Season for rebirth of relationships, between mother and son. Reminding me of the birth we celebrate on Christmas Day. Let me share her recipe with you.

Rice Krispie Rolls

3/4 C sugar
3/4 C Karo syrup
3/4 C peanut butter
5 C Rice Krispies
4 oz. chocolate chips

Measure out Rice Krispies and put in a large heat proof bowl or pan, set aside. Add sugar and syrup to 2 quart pan. Stir til sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and add peanut butter. Pour over Rice Krispies and stir til blended quickly carefully spread on cookie sheet(10x15)while hot with buttered hands or spoon, cool slightly. While still warm spread melted chocolate chips leaving about an inch from each edge, cool slightly. Cut into quarters on the 10 inch side of pan, roll each piece mashing back into place if it separates. Continue to roll and compress until quarter width and the slice about 3/8 sections. Repeat with other sections. ENJOY! If you do not want to roll spread the chocolate to the edge and cut into small uniform pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there friend, Can't wait to make this yummy treat. Thanks for your continued prayers for our son Joseph. I know the Lord is busy behind the scenes. I can't wait to tell the story as the Lord unfolds it before us.

    ReplyDelete